Ah, another peach dish. Another Semi-Homemade dish. How did I get here? I always wanted to be more Ina Garten than Sandra Lee, but now look at me. I am one recipe away from cooking exclusively with cream of mushroom soup and a packet of dried onion flakes.
Almonds are an interesting nut to bake with. I only started appreciating them later in life, when I started making things like Julia’s poached-pear tart with the almond frangipane and this pear-almond cake with chocolate chunks. Something about that almost chocolatey roasted flavor plays well with sweet, soft fruits and buttery pastry.
This Bon Appetit dish is semi-homemade because it uses store-bought pie crust. However, making the almond crumble requires a food processor, which is decidedly not Semi-Homemade. It was WONDERFUL. Again, I love almonds with fruit. And these peaches performed beautifully. We had it with soft vanilla ice cream and it was perfection.
Peach and Almond Galette
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup almond paste
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup (packed) brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (half of 15-ounce package)
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 1 1/2 pounds peaches, halved, pitted, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- Vanilla ice cream
Don’t forget the ice cream! This is a relatively easy dish that you can whip up on a week night. Who needs a special occasion to cook elegant dishes?
Enjoy, friends! xoxo